The Benefits of Dental Implants
Have you thought your smile is beyond repair and that you're stuck with gaps and ill-fitting partials forever? Think again. At Southern Oaks Family Dentistry in Easley, SC, your dental implant dentist is Dr. David Phelps. He restores smiles with these predictable and long-lasting artificial teeth. Read on to learn how dental implants can give you a beautiful new smile.
The basic dental implant
It's a titanium metal screw, abutment post, and porcelain crown. Inserted into the jaw, the implant and bone adhere to each other through a gradual process dentists call osseointegration. No other tooth replacement offers this secure bonding process nor the realistic chewing, biting, and smile appearance that it creates.
Osseointegration takes time, but once finished, your Easley dentist can bond the post and crown in place. Then, each time you use your new tooth, it exercises the jaw bone, countering the extensive bone loss common to dental extraction.
Other benefits of dental implants
Besides osseointegration and improving jaw bone structure, your dental implant:
- Feels real, acts real, and looks real
- Keeps adjoining teeth securely in place
- Allows you to eat whatever you like
- Retains your natural facial contours (no loss of volume, no skin sagging or wrinkling)
- Improves your speech clarity
- Never decays
- Should last for the rest of your life if you brush, floss and see your dentist semi-annually for a cleaning and check-up
The dental implant surgery is uncomplicated, needing only locally-injected anesthetic and sufficient healing time.
Qualifying is easy
Dr. Phelps examines his possible dental implant patient and X-rays the jaw to determine oral health and bone structure. For an implant to take hold, there must be enough bone to anchor it.
Also, you should have good oral hygiene habits and if possible, be a non-smoker. Cigarettes degrade implant sites—both soft and hard tissues. In fact, Dear Doctor reports implant failure rates double in smokers. So, if you're considering dental implants, also consider a tobacco cessation program with your primary care physician.
Care is easy, too
Besides your daily hygiene routine at home and your semi-annual visits to Southern Oaks Family Dentistry, be sure to:
- Wear a mouth guard if you grind your teeth because bruxism wears implant sites
- Avoid hard foods and biting your fingernails
- Drink water to stay hydrated
- Consume a healthy, tooth-loving diet
Contact our office
We'll be happy to arrange a personalized dental implant consultation with your dentist, Dr. David Phelps. Phone Southern Oaks Family Dentistry at (864) 850-9100.