Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
Have you considered getting your teeth professionally whitened, but refrained because you have some questions? Here at Southern Oaks Family Dentistry in Easley, SC, Dr. David Phelps offers several different cosmetic dentistry treatments, including in-office whitening. Very popular among both older teens and adults, teeth whitening brightens smiles without harming tooth enamel or gums. Learn more about the topic by reading the below answers to some FAQs about this fantastic treatment option.
FAQs about teeth whitening
Is teeth whitening safe? Yes, this much sought-after treatment is safe when:
- Performed by the cosmetic dental team at our Easley office
- Your teeth and gums are healthy (as determined by Dr. Phelps)
- You avoid over-the-counter products which can irritate gums and other soft oral tissues
Does teeth whitening work? Professional teeth whitening does work. In fact, most people experience a dramatic color change of up to eight shades, with stains associated with tobacco, foods, and beverages responding best,
Does treatment take long? Definitely not! Professional, in-office teeth whitening takes only one brief visit to Southern Oaks Family Dentistry, during which you'll be fully evaluated by Dr. Phelps and have concentrated whitening gel applied to your teeth. This gel penetrates the enamel and powers out all staining organic matter.
How long with my teeth stay white? Honestly, this much depends on what you put into your mouth. Accordingly, we suggest:
- Drinking coffee, tea, and colas with a straw
- Limiting dark foods such as curry and blackberries
- Brushing twice a day and flossing daily
- Getting semi-annual cleanings and whitening touch-ups as needed at Southern Oaks Family Dentistry
- Quitting any tobacco habit
- Buffering acidic foods with hard cheeses and whole grains
- Drinking water to rinse tooth enamel and to increase saliva which has natural whitening properties and a high calcium content
What kind of results can I expect? Typically, patients are amazed by their results. Just one hour in the chair removes years of stains!
Will the color of my crowns or white fillings change? No, they will not be affected by professional whitening.
Interested? Give us a call!
When you get your teeth professionally whitened at Southern Oaks Family Dentistry, your smile will look bright, youthful, and rejuvenated. Why not contact the office and arrange your cosmetic dentistry consultation with Dr. David Phelps? He'll explain the entire process and answer all your questions. Call us today at (864) 850-9100.
At the first-ever Players Weekend in August 2017, Major League Baseball players wore jerseys with their nicknames on the back. One player — Cleveland Indians shortstop, Francisco Lindor — picked the perfect moniker to express his cheerful, fun-loving nature: “Mr. Smile.” And Lindor gave fans plenty to smile about when he belted a 2-run homer into the stands while wearing his new jersey!
Lindor has explained that he believes smiling is an important part of connecting with fans and teammates alike: “I’ve never been a fan of the guy that makes a great play and then acts like he’s done it 10,000 times — smile, man! We’ve got to enjoy the game.”
We think Lindor is right: Smiling is a great way to generate good will. And it feels great too… as long as you have a smile that’s healthy, and that looks as good as you want it to. But what if you don’t? Here are some things we can do at the dental office to help you enjoy smiling again:
Routine Professional Cleanings & Exams. This is a great place to start on the road toward a healthy, beautiful smile. Even if you are conscientious about brushing and flossing at home, you won’t be able to remove all of the disease-causing dental plaque that can hide beneath the gum line, especially if it has hardened into tartar, but we can do it easily in the office. Then, after a thorough dental exam, we can identify any problems that may be affecting your ability to smile freely, such as tooth decay, gum disease, or cosmetic dental issues.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments. If your oral health is good but your smile is not as bright as you’d like it to be, we can discuss a number of cosmetic dental treatments that can help. These range from conservative procedures such as professional teeth whitening and bonding to more dramatic procedures like porcelain veneers or crowns.
Tooth Replacement. Many people hide their smiles because they are embarrassed by a gap from a missing tooth. That’s a shame, because there are several excellent tooth-replacement options in a variety of price ranges. These include partial and full dentures, bridgework, and dental implants. So don’t let a missing tooth stop you from being Mr. (or Ms.) Smile!
If you’d like more information about oral health or cosmetic dentistry, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine articles “Beautiful Smiles by Design” and “The Impact of a Smile Makeover.”
Want to know more about cosmetic dentistry from your Easley, SC, dentist?
Advanced procedures make it easier for people to get the beautiful smile they want. From our Easley, SC, office, we here at Southern Oaks Family Dentistry tweak major and minor issues to provide individuals with the oral health they need.
Here are a few procedures:
- Teeth Whitening: Tooth enamel wears down with time, causing dentin, the yellow layer beneath enamel, to become more visible. This, along with a poor dental regimen, drinking too much tea/coffee, chewing tobacco, and aging lead to stained, dull, or discolored teeth that need repair. Teeth whitening restores your smile back to its previous brightness.
- Porcelain Veneers: Veneers are thin porcelain restorative appliances that are cemented to the surfaces of natural teeth to conceal stained, shaped, or crooked teeth. Your Easley dentist doesn't need to use much anesthesia for this treatment and the effects are long-lasting.
- Dental Implants: Implants replace lost tooth roots. The synthetic structures are anchored to the jawbone and a crown is placed over them to fill dental gaps. They protect the structural integrity of your jaw and provide a beautiful smile.
Advantages of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry fixes numerous issues and includes even more procedures than the ones mentioned above. The goal of cosmetic dentistry is to hide minor imperfections, such as:
- Tooth shape
- Tooth size
Before any procedure, your doctor needs to examine your teeth to ensure there aren't any major issues such as cavities or gum disease that need immediate care. If there are any present, we must treat them before performing any cosmetic procedure.
If you are interested in improving the health and appearance of your smile with cosmetic dentistry, call Southern Oaks Family Dentistry in Easley, SC, at (864) 850-9100. We are more than happy to schedule an appointment with you as soon as possible!
Magician Michel Grandinetti can levitate a 500-pound motorcycle, melt into a 7-foot-tall wall of solid steel, and make borrowed rings vanish and reappear baked inside bread. Yet the master illusionist admits to being in awe of the magic that dentists perform when it comes to transforming smiles. In fact, he told an interviewer that it’s “way more important magic than walking through a steel wall because you’re affecting people’s health… people’s confidence, and you’re really allowing people to… feel good about themselves.”
Michael speaks from experience. As a teenager, his own smile was enhanced through orthodontic treatment. Considering the career path he chose for himself — performing for multitudes both live and on TV — he calls wearing an orthodontic device (braces) to align his crooked teeth “life-changing.” He relies on his welcoming, slightly mischievous smile to welcome audiences and make the initial human connection.
A beautiful smile is definitely an asset regardless of whether you’re performing for thousands, passing another individual on a sidewalk or even, research suggests, interviewing for a job. Like Michael, however, some of us need a little help creating ours. If something about your teeth or gums is making you self-conscious and preventing you from smiling as broadly as you could be, we have plenty of solutions up our sleeve. Some of the most popular include:
- Tooth Whitening. Professional whitening in the dental office achieves faster results than doing it yourself at home, but either approach can noticeably brighten your smile.
- Bonding. A tooth-colored composite resin can be bonded to a tooth to replace missing tooth structure, such a chip.
- Veneers. This is a hard, thin shell of tooth-colored material bonded to the front surface of a tooth to change its color, shape, size and/or length; mask dental imperfections like stains, cracks, or chips, and compensating for excessive gum tissue.
- Crowns. Sometimes too much of a tooth is lost due to decay or trauma to support a veneer. Instead, capping it with a natural-looking porcelain crown can achieve the same types of improvements. A crown covers the entire tooth replacing more of its natural structure than a veneer does.
If you would like more information about ways in which you can transform your smile, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about the techniques mentioned above by reading the Dear Doctor magazine articles “Teeth Whitening,” “Repairing Chipped Teeth,” and “Porcelain Crowns & Veneers.”
Smile problems? Porcelain veneers can give you the smile you've always wanted. Dental veneers are thin shells that are placed over the teeth to improve your smile. Dr. David Phelps at Southern Oaks Family Dentistry in Easley, SC, offers dental veneers to their patients. Read on to discover the benefits of veneers.
1. Beautify Your Smile in Easley
Veneers can improve your smile and appearance. Many people love the fact that porcelain veneers can fix many dental problems at the same time. These shells fit over the teeth changing their shape, length, and size. Dental veneers are routinely used to fix teeth that are misaligned, worn-down, crooked, or cracked. They're also used to fix gapped teeth and tooth discoloration.
2. Strength and Durability
Porcelain veneers are very strong, durable, and long-lasting. Although porcelain veneers are very thin, after they're bonded to your teeth, they become incredibly strong. Veneers are made of a high-quality ceramic material and have proven time and time again to be resistant to wear and staining.
3. Whiten Your Smile
Do you want a whiter, brighter smile? Nothing is more rejuvenating than a beautiful, white smile. Porcelain veneers are used to change the color of teeth. Veneers can give you a dramatically whiter smile instantly. A white smile can boost your self-confidence and self-esteem, which carries into the many different aspects of your life.
4. Look Years Younger
Despite our advancing age, many of us want to look younger. An imperfect smile can make you look old before your time. If you want to look younger, getting veneers is a great place to start. Porcelain veneers can restore your smile and make you look younger instantly. Who doesn't want to look younger - or better?
5. Increased Self-Esteem
Porcelain veneers can help to increase your self-esteem. Veneers will enhance your smile and help you feel better about yourself. How you feel about yourself affects your confidence, relationships, and well-being. With a beautiful smile, you will feel more confident when you speak with people.
Want to live your best life? Start with your smile. Call Southern Oaks Family Dentistry at 864-850-9100 today to schedule an appointment in Easley, SC. Porcelain veneers can enhance your smile, increase your self-confidence and self-esteem, and improve the quality of your life.